Hi folks – today we are releasing Universe 2.2, an update to Red Giant Universe, our GPU accelerated plugins for editors and motion graphics artists.
To celebrate, we’re also releasing Hewlogram – a new Red Giant Film featuring David Hewlett from Stargate Atlantis. Learn more HERE.
With a focus on transitions, the Universe 2.2 update includes 11 new transitions and updates to 2 existing effects. Also included – support for a new host application: Avid Media Composer. With this update, there are now over 75 Red Giant Universe tools, supported across 8 host-applications.
NEW HOST APP
- Avid Media Composer (v.8.9 and higher)
11 NEW TRANSITIONS
- VHS Transition: A transition that mimics the effect that occurs when a VCR has been used to record over pre-existing footage.
- Retrograde Transition: A transition that uses real scans of 16mm and 8mm film to create an authentic film strip transition.
- Carousel Transition: A transition that mimics advancing to the next slide in an old slide projector.
- Flicker Cut: A transition that rapidly cuts between two clips or a solid color, and which can invert the clips or add fades.
- Camera Shake Transition: A transition that mimics camera shake while it transitions between clips.
- Channel Surf: A transition that mimics the distortion you’d get by changing the channel on a cathode ray tube TV.
- Channel Blur: A transition that blurs each of the RGB channels separately for a unique chromatic effect.
- Linear Wipe: A classic linear wipe with the addition of wipe mirroring, as well as an inner/outer stroke with glow on the wipe border.
- Shape Wipe: A transition that uses an ellipse, rectangle or star shape to move between 2 pieces of footage. Includes control over points, size, stroke and fill.
- Color Mosaic: A Transition that overlays a variety of colors in a mosaic pattern as it transitions between 2 clips.
- Clock Wipe: A classic radial wipe transition with feathering and the option for a dual clock wipe.
- VHS: This update includes new VHS noise samples, VHS style text, timecode and function icons (like play, FF, Rewind), updated presets, and updated defaults for better results upon application.
- Retrograde: This update includes a small but valuable addition that allows Retrograde to use the Original aspect ratio of your footage for the effect.
HOW TO UPDATE
As an existing Universe customer, you can download the latest version of Red Giant Link and update to Universe 2.2 in Link’s Universe panel. Link can also be updated within the app, by using the “Check for Updates Now” menu item.
NEW TO UNIVERSE?
If you aren’t already a Universe customer, you can purchase a subscription or download a free trial at http://redgiant.com/universe.
Universe 2.2 runs on Windows and OS X, and includes over 75 tools that run in:
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe After Effects
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Avid Media Composer
- Davinci Resolve
- Apple Motion
- Magix Vegas
Visit the Universe Compatibility page to learn more about specific version and OS support.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ADOBE USERS: With this update, all Universe plugin categories have been renamed from “Universe” to “RG Universe” (Example, what was previously “Universe Transitions” is now called “RG Universe Transitions”). We have done this with Trapcode Suite and Magic Bullet Suite as well. The goal is that, if you own multiple suites from Red Giant, you’ll have one section in your Effects Browser to find our effects. Other hosts do not use this new formatting.
As always, if you have any questions or problems, our support team is here for you.